Saturday, March 16, 2013

Beauty Hauls / Makeup & Skincare Reviews for Acne-Prone and Oily Skin

Finally, the hauls! It's been a crazy week, but I have the day off and thought I'd finally upload these. Hope you enjoy!

Let's start with foundation.


Rachel K CC Cream (as mentioned in a previous post), Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation, Revlon Photoready Foundation and CoverProof (from DermStore.com) 

The verdict so far? The Rachel K CC Cream is more mattifying than a BB Cream. However, I wouldn't say it has better coverage. I've only used it twice and have to hold off on using it until the summer, when my skin is oily. My skin is combination because of the winter weather right now, so it accentuates the dry patches under my nose and on my chin. It does feel natural and less heavy than the Korean BB Creams I've used in the past (I wrote a previous review, here: http://posifitlybeautiful.blogspot.com/2013/02/korean-bb-cream-round-up-reviews.html). Retails for $39 (more costly than many Korean BB Creams).

The Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation was a shade too dark for me. They've been hard to come by in Sephora (only Sephora carries them) as they're working on repackaging the foundation, so I decided to stick with it as this would be a perfect shade/formula for my summer skin. I've been mixing a small amount of this with a good amount of CoverProof (below) and the Revlon Photoready for a great finish. Also, as with the Rachel K CC Cream, it's too drying on my combo areas as of right now (combining this with Photoready, combo areas don't dry out). Definitely a full-coverage foundation. Retails for $34 on Sephora.

I've used the Revlon Photoready Foundation numerous times and have gone through at least 6 bottles. I absolutely love it. I know that some people complain about some shimmer to the foundation. Honestly, I can't tell when it's on my face. On the back of my hand, I can, but on my face it just gives it a dewy finish. The only downsides for me is that it doesn't control oil as well as these other foundations, but it also doesn't dry out any areas. Also, this definitely does transfer. I would say this would be a medium coverage foundation. I usually have to conceal afterwards (when I combine this with the Kat Von D and Coverproof, it gives it more coverage and does not transfer and feels natural). I do want to try Revlon Colorstay later and compare, as I'm sure it transfers less and gives more of a matte finish. What I like about this foundation? The coverage is better for me than most drugstore foundations, it doesn't melt off of my face (...like most drugstore foundations), it doesn't irritate my skin and it matches my skin tone (pretty difficult for me to find a "perfect" shade that doesn't oxidize orange on me... I'd rather not resemble an Oompa Loompa). Retails for ~$10 at Wal-Mart (in the past it was $12-14, so it's gotten a bit cheaper).

I ordered the CoverProof Foundation as I was looking for a completely transfer-resistant foundation. Another plus is that it is waterproof/smudgeproof/sweatproof. Great long-wearing foundation. It's also buildable (I would say this is also a medium coverage foundation). As with the Rachel K and Kat Von D Foundations, I did notice it was too drying on my combo skin (I would not recommend this for those with dry skin). Downside? Only comes in 3 shades and their sales reps aren't very helpful (I called asking for undertones and the guy I talked to had no idea what they were). Plus side? Dermstore almost always offers free gifts (the Dermstore Lip Quench balm is fabulous. More on this below...and always offers free shipping. Also, it is definitely waterproof. I've taken a shower with it on and it wouldn't budge until I used cleanser. Retails for $38, but Dermstore/Blush sells it for $29.95 (free shipping, free gift usually). I bought it during a 5 hour sale for $19. Also, use the code: FREEGIFT to get a 2nd free gift (I've used this this week and received the lip balm with an extra liquid eyeshadow deluxe sample. I am not sure when it expires...).

I find the perfect blend for color/finish/coverage for me is to first apply BB Cream, then mix the Revlon Photoready with Coverproof and just a little bit of Kat Von D Foundation. No drying, but also no oil-slick. I usually only have to blot once a day and that's near the end of the day. I do set my foundation with a mineral powder (Everyday Minerals. LOVE) and transparent powder. Even so, when I set my foundation over just the Photoready, I'd have to blot sooner. And none of these have caused any blemishes to flare up or clog my pores (I usually only wear full-coverage like this twice a week currently).

Oh, and the free Dermstore Lip Quench? It's not slick and has a very different texture. Not super sticky/slick, but incredibly moisturizing and natural looking. It's supposedly great for thin, dry lips (I'm a chapstick addict, so I don't usually suffer from overly dry lips). My mom, however, tried this and loves it for her dry lips (I believe it's ~$12 for a full-size, which is a little bigger than the free gift).






Cetaphil Cleanser, Simple Day Cream, Michael Todd Anti-Aging Travel Pack, Michael Todd Knu Anti-Wrinkle Cream, Michael Todd Blue Green Algae Antibacterial Toner, Michael Todd Intensive Eye Cream, Michael Todd Antioxidant Carrot Serum and Sprout Wellness Restorative and Balancing Toner (made with Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, Water & Wild Crops Farm Witch Hazel, Organic Essential Oils of Sandalwood & Clary Sage) and Clean & Clear's Blackhead Eraser Cleansing Mask.

Onto skincare! Now, to preface, I know this seems like a lot to purchase at one time, but I was having some severe skin issues (as stated in my intro to my skin). I thought it would be best to choose more simple, organic/natural products for my skin. Also, I bought these all with deals or on sale (Disclaimer: No one bought these for me and I'm not being paid to write any reviews). Also, most of it is from the Michael Todd True Organics Skincare Line. I'm trying to find organic/natural skincare essentials to replace my previous skincare products and I've heard so many rave reviews from the Michael Todd line. It doesn't hurt that I saved a lot of money off of the retail prices (see below).

Why use organic skincare products? Watch this movie for more info.


I love the Cetaphil Cleanser. The one I was using previously (Formula 10.0.6's Best Face Forward Cleanser) was too harsh on my suffering skin - it was stripping my skin of all the oils and caused flake-age anywhere where I had blemishes that were healing or dry skin. The Cetaphil Cleanser, however, feels really balancing. My skin feels really clean and oil-free, but not overly so. It felt so squeaky clean after using it the first time, even when I did not use my clarisonic. I believe this was almost $10 at Wal-Mart. It's huge and will last a long time, as a little goes a long way

I have not used the Simple Day Cream as of yet. I have used a few of their products in the past. I have no problems to report with their products, but neither do I feel like I could not live without them or need them in my regimen. Why buy this then? I didn't. Wal-Mart actually sent it to me to sample when I ordered a curling iron, the Cetaphil cleanser and the Clean & Clear Blackhead Cleansing Mask.

Onto the Michael Todd Anti-Aging Travel Pack. I haven't used all of the products (which are: Skin Defender AHA Creme Cleanser, Cranberry Antiox Hydrating Toner, Tropical Fruit Enzyme Exfoliant Scrub, Liposome Antioxidant Moisturizer and the Rose Petal Vitamin C Gel Facial Mask). I'm in my 20's, so anti-wrinkle care is something I'm starting to think about for preventative measures. I've given the moisturizer to my mother, as it says it's not recommended for oily skin. I've used the Rose Petal Mask. It is such a pretty, floral scent and I feel my skin instantly brightening. I've also used the Tropical Fruit Enzyme Exfoliant Scrub. This can be harsh for acneic skin. I've used it a few times with no problems though (I would imagine if you're prone to whiteheads though, you might not want to try this). I like to use this when my skin is rather dry/patchy/flaky and it works well. This is $44 with the Eye Cream (I got this for $30-something as the Michael Todd website was having a Valentine's Day promo going on. This was a great deal as the eye cream alone costs $38. The retail value for this set is $107).



Onto the ever-popular Michael Todd Anti-Aging Face-Lift Knu Cream. I bought this as I heard it was great for acneic skin. I also picked one up for my mother, who loves to collect wrinkle creams. I watched many, many youtube reviews as well as read some. The texture is rather thick and takes a while to absorb into my skin. I have not noticed any wrinkle benefits (I don't really have any... yet), but my mother has and has been getting compliments on her skin since she's been using this. I have noticed how bright and dewy my skin has been since the first morning I woke up after using this. Amazing. Also, it's helped heal some blemishes faster than normal. It does feel a bit sticky for me (for my mom, who has dry skin, it absorbs right in and feels baby soft), but I can wear makeup over it without a problem. Note: If the thought of having a serum derived from (humanely harvested) snails bothers you... either don't think about it (haha) or skip this product. For me, however, this has been a holy grail product. My skin has never glowed so much. The price is a wopping $150 via their site. However, deals can often be had on this cream. I bought mine for $33 on ideeli (please consider using my referral link: www.ideeli.com/invite/amn385). I've also seen deals on Groupon and Livingsocial for $25 (crazy! I've always missed these though).



Another popular product from the Michael Todd line is their Intensive Organic Eye Cream with Haloxyl + Eyeliss. I don't suffer from puffy eyes or fine lines yet. This has worked wonders for the dark circles under my eyes (nothing has ever worked). I no longer have to conceal under my eyes. $38. There also have been Groupon deals on this for ~$17 from time to time (every few months. Keep your eyes on the lookout).

I've seen many acneic Youtube beauty gurus rave about the Blue Green Algae Antibacterial Toner. Often, acne can be caused by oil, bacteria, dirt, etc. in the pores. This helps by cleaning out the pores. I have cystic acne and haven't noticed anything miraculous as of yet, but it does help reduce inflammation when I break out. I find it helps more with whiteheads (which I rarely get) than with cystic acne (which is what I mostly get). The scent is very natural/herbal and somewhat calming. This is $18 on the Michael Todd True Organics website (this is a gigantic toner and will last for quite some time).

I believe I can also attribute my newfound glowing skin to the Michael Todd Antioxidant Carrot Multivitamin Serum. I've never used a serum before. This, I believe worked hand-in-hand with brightening up my skin even further in conjunction with the Knu Cream (I used the Knu Cream first and then worked in the serum a few days later). This also seems to be helping with some hyperpigmentation (not a miracle, but great to get rid of the stubborn red marks a tad faster). I used this by itself for about 1.5 weeks and then started mixing this with a little bit of the Michael Todd Citrus Cream Moisturizer DMAE-Hyaluronic Acid Blend (not pictured. Received as a present). They work perfectly together, balancing the moisture in my skin - not too oily in my t-zone, yet moisturizes my combo/dry winter patches wonderfully. And the smell is revitalizing and refreshing. The serum retails for $37. However, I purchased this on ideeli for $14.99.

The Sprout Wellness Toner made with Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, Water & Wild Crops Farm Witch Hazel, Organic Essential Oils of Sandalwood & Clary Sage. Before purchasing this and the Michael Todd toner, my toner was basically DIY (Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water). I wanted to try something new and liked the additions to this toner. I prefer the Michael Todd toner, but I don't have anything negative to say about this toner. The smell might be off-putting, however, for those not accustomed to the smell of ACV. This brand sort of reminds me of Lush, in that it's hand-made and artisinal. I've been taking turns using this with the Michael Todd toner. I feel this does a great job removing any extra residue from my makeup that my cleanser and clarisonic might leave behind, as it gets deep into pores. I like that this is all natural and supports local farms. Another ideeli find - purchased for $9.99.

Last, but not least, the Clean & Clear Blackhead Cleansing Mask. I only use this about every 1-1.5 weeks, as it can be a bit harsh/stripping of all the oils/drying. However, it does do a great job of getting rid of blackheads, which I haven't had for year, until the past 2 months when they popped up again. Pesky things. This retails for about $4.50 at Wal-Mart. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had/been using (unless stated otherwise) all of these products for a little over a month.

That's it for now. I have more hauls, but this has taken quite a long time to type up. Look forward to future posts, including: health hauls (Trader Joe's, OpenSky BluApple, etc.), electronic skincare haul (PMD Personal Micodermabrasion, Tanda Zap), subscription beauty and health box hauls (ipsy, Beauty Army, Conscious Box and Vitacost Be All Box). 

Speaking of, I've been trying for the longest time to get into Graze.com's healthy snacking subscription box, but they're in beta now and only allowing current subscribers to invite 1 person to the program. Finding a spot is pretty competitive. Anyone happen to have a code they could share? 

Love,
Marie

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

web usage statistics