Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Motivation Monday


It's getting late, so I'm going to try and keep this post fairly short. Pfffft... okay, I don't really do short. I'll try though.

On Saturday we hiked up hilly terrain. The hike ended up being 4.6 miles. Not too shabby. And because of Insanity, I'm betting, I wasn't sore the next day. It was pretty muddy, but we fared well on the hike. The air was crisp at first, but warmed up considerably. It was great to be outdoors with sunshine and fresh air.

I celebrated my best friend's birthday, so we went to DQ's. I usually try to do froyo if I'm going to go out and get a frozen treat, but it's her favorite. It was good though. We did get smalls though (ummm... I think I'll have to get a mini though next time. Their "smalls" are actually pretty big for ice cream). But, it's all about balance, right? 

Do I feel like a failure? Absolutely not. I want to celebrate without restricting myself too drastically. I know my limits. And I know I'll keep keeping on. This is a lifestyle change, so it has to be sustainable, right? The majority of the time, I will choose healthfully and mindfully. But I will not obsess.

Anyway, I spent all of Sunday celebrating, so no workout. Plus, I've felt rather nauseous working out lately (I think the past week? I really don't understand what's going on. Maybe I need to do it in the morning on a completely empty stomach), so I thought I'd take a couple days off.

Oh! And that cashew creamer? Made the absolute best base ever for homemade mac and cheese. No lie. I made it for my friend's birthday get-together and everyone loved it and were raving about it, not knowing that cashews were in it (I did put a sign that nuts were on it, for the allergic. People were confused, haha). I also only used 1 TB of butter in the whole thing and used brown rice macaroni shells. The shells when cooked have a chewy texture, but when baked, I can get away with them.

Meal-wise, I'm going to try and be rather strict this next week as I'm sort of a foodie and my birthday is next week... So, to celebrate, my friends are taking me out a "gastronomic journey" throughout the city. And I have a wedding the next weekend (I have absolutely no clue what they will be serving at this wedding).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, onto the motivational images/quotes, then?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and I know it's technically not Monday anymore, but semantics, right?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------



I love this. Though, I will say that moderation is key. If you haven't had chocolate in  a while, I say, go for it. Just do it mindfully and don't overindulge. Have a square or two for your soul and your sanity. That saying, if you want to choose the fruit instead, go for it.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this Facebook post from Fit Villains (Chichi Kix) really helpful and motivational. I already was aware of the thigh gap (and didn't really understand this phenomenon asthetically. I am glad mine is starting to get a gap, just because I wear dresses in the summer and don't like them rubbing together all of the time, which causes my thighs to be somewhat itchy. Eww, I know. ha. TMI?), but I know that many others aren't quite away that it isn't possible for everyone.

As for the second question: you cannot spot reduce (choose where you're going to lose fat). I do like the way she explains it though. I understood you couldn't spot reduce, but didn't understand the why. 

Onto the post? 

"I get questions about fat loss all the time, but some questions always boil down to the same answers. Understanding and accepting your body is one of the first steps to setting realistic goals for yourself. Here's some info that might help if you're hung up on certain areas or are confused about how fat loss works. :)

Q: "I'm pretty lean and fit but I still don't have a thigh gap. What am I doing wrong?"

Nothing. Nothing at ALL! Thigh gaps are determined by how wide set your hips are: they are not a sign of 'perfection' or 'leanness'. They are a sign of (get this)... bones. You can be overweight with a thigh gap, crazy fit without one, and they are one of the BIGGEST photoshop evils out there: many thigh gaps are photoshopped in or exaggerated. If you find yourself idolizing thigh gaps and are in the same boat as me (my thighs like to makeout all the time and will always do so), you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Thigh gaps are a recent phenomenon for me, with many girls asking how they can get them, make theirs more pronounced or tone the inner thighs (and some, ahem, trainers designing 'thigh gap' workouts. Ugh). For those without wide set hips, achieving a thigh gap means lowering their body fat percentage to dangerously low levels. Same goes for thinspo related desires like collar bones, hip bones, back bones, rib cages and more. 

Q: "I want to lose weight, but I don't want to lose my butt or boobs. Help?" or "I just want to slim down my legs. What exercises can I do?"

Fat is lost at the exact same rate everywhere on the body: your fat cells live where they live and get bigger or smaller depending on your body's energy needs (losing weight means more energy/fat is pulled: cells get smaller. Gaining weight means more energy/fat is stored: cells get bigger). Each cell gets bigger or smaller at the exact same rate: the cells in your tush are the same size as the cells in your arms, but there might be more of them in one area. 

Women have shallow and deep ends when it comes to fat cell distribution. Deep ends have more fat cells. Shallow ends have less. One woman's deep end might be another's shallow end. We tend to notice change in our shallow ends faster than our deep ends. My deep ends are my bellly and thighs: I notice fat loss there LAST. My shallow end is my upper body, back and chest: I notice fat loss there FIRST. Body fat percentages can be slightly misleading if you're comparing to other women for this reason. We're all different in how our fat is distributed. 

If it helps, think about it as a pool being drained: the rate at which the water drains is exactly the same, but the shallow end will empty before the deep end. That means to burn fat in your deep ends (often referred to on other pages as "stubborn areas" or "trouble zones"), you need to boost your fat loss capability everywhere. Adding more muscle to your back, chest, arms, and lower body can help reduce the fat in your core. Sleep, a clean diet, muscle, stress reduction and movin' are your top 5 fat burning "secrets". 

Q: "I want curves BUT I am flat in the booty with no hips! What workouts can I do to give myself an hourglass shape?"

You can change your body slightly by adding muscle (strength training), but only within reason and the limits of your own body shape. Genes. So, if you've got a flatter tushy and are training to add volume, you CAN... just don't expect it to look like Kim Kardashian's with some squats. You'll be happier with your own results without the comparison. Her body is her body. Yours is yours. 

My legs have always been muscular. Well before I started to train. They will always be muscular. Their shape is their shape. I can play within their limits, making changes with my training (adding muscle), but trying to get them to look lean and long like a ballerina's legs won't be possible. Trying to get a tush like Lyzabeth Lopez won't be happening either. I CAN however have a rocking Chichi booty. And that's all that matters. 

If you were an hourglass before weight loss, you'll still be an hourglass after (a smaller one). If you weren't, you won't be. Same goes for thick thighs, big bums, broad shoulders, etc. Your body's shape will likely stay the same, or close to the same, even if you make it smaller with weight loss. You can reduce the fat ON your shape within reason, but you can't always change your shape OR how your fat is distributed. Which means, you can't try to hang on to your boobies if you're losing fat: they'll either change a lot, a little or not at all. 

Comparison is the thief of joy. Make sure your goals are realistic, work within your limits, and take steps to accept your body and it's unique beauty. Changes can happen, but if your goals aren't realistic, you may make bad decisions, be frustrated, and are unlikely to stick to a healthier lifestyle. 

Oh, and fat is not the bad guy. 

Hope this helps! xo"

For more from her, visit her facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/ChichiKix




No comments:

Post a Comment

web usage statistics